Tuesday, March 6, 2012

New Directions

Well, I've also been meaning to post about this for awhile.

I finally opened my Etsy shop.  Asylum Knits and Yarn

: )

I've been thinking about this for awhile.  And, it seemed like in the middle of the school year would be a perfect time to get started. In many ways it has been a comedy of errors and far more complicated than I thought possible.

You'd think that after people have been selling stuff online for this long, they'd have figured out how to make it smooth and work well.  But I was stunned at how complex they have made it.

And then I had to make my product.  :0  That's the fun part.  And it would have been easy if I'd stuck to what I knew.  But I am never happy doing the same things over and over, so I decided to explore a new method of dyeing yarn using acid dyes. I have really enjoyed learning new things about how dye works and how to make it do what I want.

But the hardest part has been promoting my shop.  I want people to buy my yarn, and that means they have to find me.  I think I entirely underestimated the amount of work it would be to spread the word.  I try on facebook to post without flooding people.  I'm trying to play the games on Etsy.  I participate in the various methods they have to promote.  But, it's still hard.  And it's frustrating trying to figure out what tags to use and then annoying that other people use the same ones even though they are selling something entirely different.

Anyway - I'm planning to combine the insanity of school with kids and selling hand dyed yarn. 

And, here's my new button!




No comments:

Post a Comment