Friday, January 11, 2013

It's not that Skylar has been replaced....

It's that Skylar has been replaced!

Before Christmas, during the insanity of student teaching, I went to spin.  Nothing I did worked, and I finally realized that the drive wheel had warped or something.  I'd been storing the wheel next to an exterior wall of the house.  I spent far more time on it than I should have, and got it to spin a little bit, but it made me sad...

Maybe I should backtrack for a moment...  In the world of doing things like spinning your own wool, rather than doing the sane thing of buying it pre-spun in the store, it is customary to give your spinning wheel a name.  I haven't figured out yet if this is to make it easier to talk about your wheel with people who will ask after it by name, or to have something to call it while you're sweating at it for eating your fiber...

So the idea was born of getting a new wheel for Christmas.  With the incredible generosity of family, I became the proud owner of my very own brand new Ashford Kiwi on Christmas morning.

I was playing Santa, and it was so very very hard to leave this one until the end.  I knew that once I opened it, I would be lost to Christmas morning.  

The girls got Lego, and this was like grown-up Lego.  It was awesome.  So many pieces, so much fun...


Adding the oil!  It's very particular work.  And, it wouldn't be crafting in this house without a kid audience.

Getting it started.  I believe that Gwen was giving me tips...

And, just so that none of you feel bad, Skylar stands guard against child muggles and protects the new, yet unnamed, wheel.  

That leaves me with only needing to name it.  For some reason it reminds me of our car which is named "The Little Car That Can!" What do you think?






No comments:

Post a Comment