Sunday, October 9, 2011

More personal reflections and a dream of a comprehensive program

I am writing yet another "reflection" for one of my classes.  I have now written 6 of this type of thing.  They all share themes and are connected and intertwined.  As I fight the urge, yet again, to say "See my reflection from 2 weeks ago paragraph 3" I start to dream of an education program where the professors actually talk and coordinate their assignments. 

There are half-hearted attempts to do this.  Some of them say vague things like "using the lesson plans from your other course, write a reflection on the following" and stuff like that.  But that's not super helpful when the reflection is due weeks before the lesson plans (or your prof is doing something different from lesson plans).  But, generally, I find myself doing almost the same assignment in 3 different classes. 

It seems to me that there must be a better way.  This is a preset professional term.  There are specific classes that we must take since they are all condensed to 8 weeks to allow for the 5 weeks of student teaching.  Do they have to set it up as distinct courses each with it's own syllabus?  I'm sure there's a reason, but why can't they have it be 1 course with 1 set of assignments that align with each other without being repetitive? 

But that seems like an unobtainable dream.  It makes too much sense for them to do it.  They can't even manage to have all the profs add the assignments and exams to e-class so that we can use the calendar feature for what it's intended. 

I guess I'll just count my blessings that I managed to create a group to work together in 3 classes and we are able to use the same basic lesson plan for those assignments.  And I'll feel sorry for the people I know who have 4 classes with 4 different groups working on 4 different units/subjects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment